Re: Kolat questions

From: Jeff <richaje_at__YZz5ktX_g55GoLV2vv9KHSBO2tebsKRgRWViEQFn7Ilg0GHMFp1q1CpiiIdCiKHbL2F>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:45:33 -0000

> I've some questions about Kolat worship after reading the write-up in Sartar Companion...
>
> A character with the Spirit Rune can join the Kolat Tradition, which allows them to use charms to augment abilities - presumably at their Kolat Tradition rating. Characters without the Spirit rune can't join the Kolat Tradition. Can these characters still use Charm (by buying it as a new ability)? I think this is sort-of implied by the section on Seven Winds society members creating charms.*

Yes, characters without the Spirit Rune can still use Charms by buying each as a new ability. They can't swap them around and each Charm must be raised separately.

> The write up doesn't seem to limit the Kolat Practice to men. I had thought that female spirit worshippers amongst the Orlanthi were all worshippers of Serdrodosa. Obviously this is an Orlanthi all!**

Most Kolatings are male, but not all. Kolat is not a deity of Manhood like Orlanth is.

> There appears to be an implication that most Kolat Tradition members will become Shaman (one joins the society by finding a shaman and offering to become his assistant). Is this correct?

All Tradition members have been apprenticed to a shaman. Whether they ever become a shaman is another matter altogether. I suspect most don't.

> Presumably amongst primarily Animist societies (Praxians, Hsunchen etc), it is not necessary to have a Spirit rune to join the Tradition, any more than it is to have an Air rune to worship the Orlanthi Pantheon. (Although I'd expect it to be necessary to become a Shaman).

Yes. But the Orlanthi are predominantly divine cultists and only a minority speak to spirits. The Spirit Rune is how we handle that in game mechanics (and probably how the Orlanthi think of it themselves).

> *Just spotted the boxed text that says many Orlanthi posses a charm or two that may have been acquired several generations back. Not sure how this ties in to the Kolating only being able to make a charm for someone present at the ceremony though...

One thing I did not add into the writeup because I thought it was too tangental is that plenty of folk know how to make a SINGLE charm. Their grandparents taught them, and their grandparents taught them, and so on. These folk don't really belong to a Tradition and they don't become Shamans. That's just normal Orlanthi magic. The Kolating Tradition is far far more powerful and flexible.

> **Same boxed text says that Kolat is the male path to shamanhood and Serdrodosa the female path. This doesn't, I suppose preclude females joining the Kolat tradition, and Kolating Spirit societies but not becoming Shaman

It doesn't even preclude women from become Sezings. Although most are men.

Jeff