Kolat questions

From: Tim <tim_at_Q4FoilkZ8bhC-q8RIfToOoDGFy2C8iknOdDWavbWQ9EgxZmqb-kZ6-ckT8D43DZtW_07F5SF>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:55:20 -0000

I've some questions about Kolat worship after reading the write-up in Sartar Companion...

A character with the Spirit Rune can join the Kolat Tradition, which allows them to use charms to augment abilities - presumably at their Kolat Tradition rating. Characters without the Spirit rune can't join the Kolat Tradition. Can these characters still use Charm (by buying it as a new ability)? I think this is sort-of implied by the section on Seven Winds society members creating charms.*

The write up doesn't seem to limit the Kolat Practice to men. I had thought that female spirit worshippers amongst the Orlanthi were all worshippers of Serdrodosa. Obviously this is an Orlanthi all!**

There appears to be an implication that most Kolat Tradition members will become Shaman (one joins the society by finding a shaman and offering to become his assistant). Is this correct?

Presumably amongst primarily Animist societies (Praxians, Hsunchen etc), it is not necessary to have a Spirit rune to join the Tradition, any more than it is to have an Air rune to worship the Orlanthi Pantheon. (Although I'd expect it to be necessary to become a Shaman).

*Just spotted the boxed text that says many Orlanthi posses a charm or two that may have been acquired several generations back. Not sure how this ties in to the Kolating only being able to make a charm for someone present at the ceremony though...

**Same boxed text says that Kolat is the male path to shamanhood and Serdrodosa the female path. This doesn't, I suppose preclude females joining the Kolat tradition, and Kolating Spirit societies but not becoming Shaman