Re: History and Time in the West

From: donald_at_QGdV88L4k_QRRqTeTJPm8-EvYN7zwMFJs0pGsGKlhNmzJvZBtCtUCyYmsyfud1wriDisB
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 21:23:37 +0100

> Ian wrote:
> >
> > The orthodox Hrestoli of the Castle Coast are almost certainly dating
> > from Hrestol's revelation, which may or may not match up with the
> > Theyalan Dawn-based calendar.
> >
> How could it not? We know the revelation took place in the year 1 ST, so
> unless their year is a different length, it would seem hard to argue
> there's a difference.

Just how accurate are the different societies methods of recording the year?

I'm sure starting a new calendar wasn't the first thing which occurred to anyone when these important events happened. Indeed how many people understood what time was or meant at the beginning? So the starting date was set sometime afterwards by scholars who worked it out from the records they had. I'd expect there to be differences everywhere there isn't a central authority to decide on which one. Then you've got the sunstop apart from any disruptive events which impacted only some cultures.

We may know that the revelation occurred in 1 ST but how many years ago was that? The Orlanthi may say it was 1620 years ago but they can't prove it. Just as the Hrestoli will have a number which might be the same but is more likely different.

There might be a scholar's HQ which gives an answer but do all such quests give the same answer?

--
Donald Oddy