Re: History and Time in the West

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_SCavypdVbavo9VaU93kGGzra6QGEyILYpTuZ3IuS1UZjcDXtyWtouOI-zgZKGDai2fW>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 21:41:18 +0100

donald_at_yEiXxk0k37iXPsDqOzob1psrVoDD2kFqu05MPZTdAdA_XRYHkn6CPe-MMMq8GsmBqS_5m7mgFtP4YdkBSPg.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> > Ian wrote:
> > >
> > > The orthodox Hrestoli of the Castle Coast are almost certainly dating
> > > from Hrestol's revelation, which may or may not match up with the
> > > Theyalan Dawn-based calendar.
> > >
> > How could it not? We know the revelation took place in the year 1
> ST, so
> > unless their year is a different length, it would seem hard to argue
> > there's a difference.
>
> Just how accurate are the different societies methods of recording the
> year?

I would imagine that wizards are pretty good at recording historical events, which makes it not too hard to figure out the dates. If anyone has it wrong, its more likely to be the Heortlings, and I've never seen any evidence of that. Besides, having two calendrical systems counting forward from the same date, but arriving at different answers strikes me as a recipe for confusion in published sourcebooks, regardless of how plausible it might be in the actual world.
--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/