Re: Introductions and a question

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_jUnwx4_FyxMklP2VkkxgOeW2SCoVjonhCTcU4Fh4N_d1FKAV5eLBjMgjmgWnYh2Ad34WrZ_>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 23:13:44 +0100

A while since I ran one, and the technology may have changed things, but when back in the day the game I ran was more or less directed short story writing. While a conventional roleplaying game involves a lot of immediate interaction:

"I start off down the road"
"About half a mile past Clearwine you see dust rising up as though someone's coming down the road towards you." "OK then, I get off the road and hide"
"Where? There are trees to the left and a sheepfold a little way up the hills on the right"...

A pbm instruction would be more along the lines of

"I want to head from Clearwine to Duckpoint along the road. I'll avoid other travellers unless they're from a clan that owes me a favour. I'll leave the road rather than travel where Lunars can see me."

and then the person running the game elaborates about that until a major plot point comes up.

Can be fun, but it took quite a lot of work.