Re: What PBM _can_ be

From: Liu Pei <liu.pei.fr_at_dLREIBBV27FL3O4N85Oj-Oci6wptb6YrwkyHm5dS4j1uNYLLs60KfJFWTS4CDaXSq>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:46:28 +0200

Hello,

I am GMing by e-mail for about four years now. Since PBeM, by nature, lacks human interaction, I've setup a weekly off-roleplay email to the whole group of players. Its purpose is to have off-table communication and interaction such as a real-life gaming group. I think it is what links people to a group and keeps their motivation to participate, such as a real-life gaming table. In brief, a kind of weekly flood. When game is stalled (such as currently), this malling allow to chat a keep in touch.

It racaps :

  1. Date we begun to play and time passing each week (e.g. 3 years, 10 months and 3 weeks);
  2. Date last turn ended (I prepare the turn, send it before the players answer. When they all answered the turn or the dead-line date has passed, the turn is over);
  3. A listing of each character (along with player name) setting act number, scene number, group letter (when characters are separated -- currently there are two groups) and a flag showing if the player has answered the turn, if not and when the GM is preparing its turn;
  4. As a GM, I freely speak (private to the group) of my personal life so that other people could understand I'm busy, overbooked, in a bad mood and so on.

Each week, we agreed with players that they must answer the weekly email. As a GM, I can so anticipate when player activity slows down or when on is disappearing and so on.

I sincerely think that without this weekly letter, my chronicle would have sunk.

N.B.: We are playing a french piracy RPG (Pavillon Noir: http://www.black-book-editions.fr/index.php?site_id=2) so the weekly email has been named "lettre de bord" (topic of email : 2011W17 -- Lettre de bord #0).