What PBM _can_ be

From: Hartmut <pomeroi_at_1qWEZM1hUJ1xga1jrQY4xyYAsK5PqywHEN9q5_2_bNt2pQTbNgj9AQLbQr6IttEzpbwG>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:21:35 -0000

Hervé,
in fact the "classical" pbm is as the name says. GM and players write to a list (somtimes PM as required). But with newer tools nowadays you have boards, places to put maps, internet chat or even voice conference. It all depends on availability and the pace you are able and willing to run. A pbm with members in timezones scattered over the world of course takes some time. BUT - you wouldn't believe: Taking time may even add to the amtosphere. We had characters starting to tell stories, sing a song, doing weird things, because the players had time to. We actually play travel as much as combat. Think LotR, especially part one. There are a lot more scenes in homes, taverns, on roads, in talk, as there is action.

I had quite a lot fun recently with 2 games actually, one being the typical rpg, the other being the type of strategy and development, where roleplaying is "downgraded" to the diplomacy between leaders of tribes or nations. Though I - like I suppose most of you here - prefer to play at the table, pbm can be great fun if you have scheeming players and a witted GM. I was VERY lucky with both games I do.