Re: The Paps

From: Jeff <richaje_at__COh33_agNpIfn9y8Hxy9wFlLhRzCDGVAWT3zK3bZLI4F6Yvi46wohFaQKK118X0dzFQ>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 06:55:13 -0000

> I don't think Urox or Humakt are unplayable. No one has ever
> said they were unplayable, that looks like a rather obvious straw
> man, though Trotsky did say Humakt is less playable than previously,
> but that isn't the same unplayable (and FWIW, I agree there too, I
> think there is a shift in emphasis there, but I'll put that in a
> separate message).

And I disagree with you there as well, based on both my own experiences and that of my players.

> Which isn't to say you actually can't play them - I just just
> really it hard to do so in an enjoyable way while playing them
> strictly as written. But of course YMMV, and some people will enjoy
> it. There are entire role playing games more or less dedicated to
> playing killing machines with zero emotional depth, which is more
> less what the BG write up constrains them to be. Some people will
> enjoy that, I am not one of them.

And funny, that is exactly the complaint others had about the BG cult as presented in GoG (which our old gaming group considered to be boring "consequence free killing machines of zero emotional depth"). The point is *you* might not enjoy playing the BG (or Humakt) of Greg's stories, but don't assume that others view it the same way.

Jeff