Babeester Gor was Re: The Paps

From: David Cake <dave_at_QiPhJ17e-VWg1h8B99fXGXa39jXRXeTze8Fhn496g4cProb4Ga6GAuDXxDnpoTWRR7QtCjg>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 17:40:24 +0800

At 11:49 PM +0100 3/5/11, Nick Eden wrote:
>I suspect that part of the problem is that we've recently been
>presented with BG from a very Heortling perspective. Patriarchal, the
>warrior roles are for men, therefore, for a woman to pursue a warriors
>path beans that they're pretty damn weird.

        That is NOT the problem. They were always weirdoes, and frighteningly dangerous ones. But they have gone from being wild and dangerous weird, to being Daleks.

        Plus, of course, that isn't a particularly fair judgement of Heortling culture - there are several far less weird and frighteningly cults for women who pursue a warriors path, most notably Vinga.

>An Esrolian perspective might fit better with our ideas of BG as
>female PC warrior archetype.

        I hope so. My most generous reading of the HeroQuest write up would be that it represents only a Heortling view of the goddess, and represents BG as more or less an Esrolian cult not fully understood or accepted - that the constraint on love is an attempt to constrain the dangerous ecstatic passion at the heart of the cult into the narrowest possible role.

        If the Esrolians field entire battalions of Babeester Gor axe maidens*, I can't see them as ever finding enough people broken enough to give up all hope of even familial or other platonic love forever. And Esrolia seems even less likely than anywhere else to want to force their axe maidens not to love their mothers.

	Cheers
		David