Babeester Gor, Erantha Gor

From: David Cake <dave_at_5jlIeB-4VsBNPy4-Rh-t3j0HzuYfuVd1UCUg9zxSjtfPkpYbYa62pXhwS9zngeO878GGWQj>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 17:39:48 +0800

At 5:34 PM +1200 4/5/11, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>Grognards lamenting on the change in Babs should bear in mind that
>Axe-happy Lizzie Bordens that want a love life are more likely to join
>the cult of Erantha Gor rather than Babs. Insofar as the older sources
>mention Babeester Gor having lovers and the like, this should be
>understood as a confusion with Erantha Gor.

        I'm certainly happy to accept that the stories of BG having lovers etc might refer to Erantha Gor, except what little sources I have found on Erantha Gor indicate that she is very strongly associated with Maran Gor (sometimes taken as an alternate name of Maran), and is thus likely to share Maran Gors cult proscriptions on lovers etc. But it isn't really a big deal. My issue with BG isn't so much with her sex life, but rather the exclusion of all other forms of love.

>The only difference is Erantha Gor is more of a standard warrior goddess
>rather than a holy avenger.

        Exactly. But if what I want to play is a holy avenger with an emotional life more complex than a Dalek, Erantha Gor doesn't suit at all.

        The real problem here is, though, if we go right back to 2001 when Greg was introducing Erantha Gor and so on, and making the changes to BG that I disagree with (making her loveless, etc) - then if we are taking that as the authoritative source, then CLEARLY the existing BG writeup is wrong, just in a different way. If we take those comments of Greg as authoritative, the 'blood beer' myths aren't about BG at all (so my criticisms of it not being a good mythic fit for loveless BG would be correct), the Esrolian axe maidens aren't BG (as they are explciitly said to be in Sartar Companion), probably half the magical powers attributed to BG really belong to EG, etc.

        If we take Erantha Gor into consideration, then the BG writeup is a bloody mess, half of which should be describing EG instead (and probably so should many documented BG characters, etc).

	Cheers
		David