Re: The Paps

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_lnhHLHa6yW8CJHWxKrlZUchF4m9tCi8uwervHS4cPXwkkjeIH3cLD7npOTcPSZlK>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 09:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

Peter says:
>  I don't imagine Oakfed actually cares about the sex of his worshippers.

Oakfed worshipers are hot.

Sorry.

Richard says:
> I take Peter's point. Mine however was that one of Oakfed's key magics was
>using fire in funeral rites.

I realize that this is how the magic was described, but I really don't think that's Oakfed's core nature. He's wildfire. His great shamans are fearsome. They can summon the wildfire. And sometimes, they do. They can be a little too exciting for many people. They should have been really handy when fighting the lunars, but the wildfire turned against them. That's what wildfire does sometimes. The way normal Praxians interact with Oakfed proper is through rituals intended to avoid his harmful effects.

> In the Praxian culture this seems like a male role rather than a female one.

You might be right that Praxians see the immolation of khan's body as a typically male task. Often the only one around with access to an Oakfed spirit might be a Waha khan. But I don't think it would be taboo for a female Oakfed shaman to bring the funeral fire.

David says:
>    Humakt and Storm Bull might professional killers, Uroxi are essentially
>tamed monsters, but they can be
> something else in between all the murdering. That works fine. Transgressive,
>but not one dimensional.

In Prax (not, I realize, David's point), Iron Man is more of an oddball because he's recognizably an Outlander. Storm Bull, though, has a full life-cycle in Prax. He already has sons, he loves, he woos, he marries, he has another child, he dies fighting for his wife, etc. Very romantic and tragic, if you think about it. Bullmen ritually court Eiritha women using that mythic cycle. Naturally, the marriages are passionate and tumultuous. To David's point, Praxian bullmen are not JUST barbaric fanatics.

Mike Dawson says:
> Refocusing back to the Paps, it should be clear that Axe Sisters worship the
>Axe Sister Spirit, not a goddess. No matter how much she smells like Babeester
>Gor.

Yeah! Take that, you God Learners! The Axe Sisters fortunately have little occasion to carryout their special magics, so the immediately apparent similarity is pretty much just "women with axes." Note, though, that unwanted intrusion into the temple is, for them, the mythic equivalent of trying to rape the goddess. Think about where the trespasser enters. Rape is what the Devil wanted to do to Eiritha before Tada hid her. The Axe Sisters defend her. And they will follow trespassers to make sure they don't come back. (Queue the adventure hooks.)

Chris