Re: Colymar campaign

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_hZQg3m_gcHP7Y8mDdh--SaO5xQ6rih0FNn7tipVDdTwHSY0n7CeQUM61y>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 14:37:08 -0000

> The second possibility takes your players into the affairs of other Sartarite tribes in the Coming Storm book that I hope to get out this year.

There is a link between the Red Cow clans featured in The Coming Storm and the Orlmarth, so if folks want to join their adventures, there is a path for that. Of course the other thing is just to merge in into your own campaign, wherever it is set, by filing off some of the serial numbers (a lot of folks did that with my old Red Cow material on the web, and that was what I had hoped they would do)

We're aiming to give an account of 1618-25 that shows how events play out - at least for the Cinsina. Some events we know about are too far away, not important to them; but there are some new events that directly involve them, which may reveal hidden or unknown sides to existing events to you. But its the beginning of the Hero Wars from their perspective.

Out of interest, Jeff and I chew the fat on how to present the beginning of the Hero Wars on Skype and in person on regular occasions. I guess he does the same with others too.

My personal opinion (and not a Moon Designs one) is that there is a *LOT* going on in that period, which is both distinct but also weaves together.

You have White Bull and Garath in Pavis, Garrath joins the Cradle, and meets Harrek and they circumnavigate the lozenge pillaging, looting, etc. Meanwhile there is civil war in Heortland and the Empire invades. Whitewall falls, and Orlanth is imprisoned. There is more conflict in Esrolia as the Lunars try to subvert Esrolia. The Wolf Pirates come back on the scene, hook up with Broyan and kick the Empire out of Esrolia. Then Kallyr who has been heroquesting all this time: Shiprise etc. pulls off the Dragonrise and crushes the Lunar army in Sartar.

I don't think that's realistically one book. I also don't think its realistically even one campaign arc with different stops, because it has so many branches. What it seems to be more is a set of books with campaigns around a slice of the events of the Hero Wars, that have straightforward hooks that allow you to follow a path from one to the other.

On that note, I suspect the easiest 'tourist' path to the Hero Wars is: Fight the Empire in Sartar and Heortland, get outlawed and spend time in Pavis; in Pavis, join Garrath defending the Cradle and sail out into sea where you meet Harrek; live through that; then join Harrek as he loots the known world; show up back at the Battle of Pennel Ford and help kick the Empire out of Esrolia. Join up with Kallyr for the Shiprise and Dragonrise, and go on to liberate Boldhome.

Ian Cooper