Re: The three runes we all have

From: Jeff <richaje_at_OVncEx2dHH5gyplghd8rBofmLmZh4YXWgFlXbS4mt7XVKmYZfRnSReCJNfMQS-beFGfs>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 05:13:46 -0000

> I really like the idea of players picking the three runes their characters are connected to / have aptitude for.
>
> What is less clear to me from the new Glorantha books is this.
>
> a) Is it possible for these runes to change. If so, when and how does it happen.

Yes. It can change from heroquests or other magical rituals - either intentionally or as a result of failure. See Sartar page 73 for the basic treatment. Although so far I've only seen one player actually do this.

> b) Is it always three? Is it possible to "gain more runes"? If a heortling woman, let's say [earth, fertility, magic] in her travels comes accross a society that teach her the secrets of fire magic, what happens. Is it possible to gain more runes (I know one can't usually have two elemental ones), or does the fire magic turn into a separate ability? Is it impossible for her to grasp the fire magic since her soul is tied to [earth] instead of [fire)?

You can gain more runes in play. Again see Sartar page 73. As for your example, the question is whether she is learning the "secrets of fire magic" by dedicating her soul to the fire god (ie as an initiate of a fire cult), commanding various friendly fire spirits (ie spirit magic), or by learning a magical formula of fire (ie wizardry).

The first option is going to require the most character development and overcoming obstacles - frex, is she already initiated to Ernalda? If so, this might be problematic and require more than just chatting with some local wise woman.

The second and third are pretty straightforward and easy.

Jeff