Re: The three runes we all have

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_FIOzkEL4jDQRaqPQO2F3r5t49fMsr8UVvSLsRpkHRdPdVKeP_XgRGe0Mp1YQNqaA>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 10:26:51 +0100

On 15 May 2011, at 21:08, valkoharja wrote:

> b) Is it always three? Is it possible to "gain more runes"? If a heortling woman, let's say [earth, fertility, magic] in her travels comes accross a society that teach her the secrets of fire magic, what happens. Is it possible to gain more runes (I know one can't usually have two elemental ones), or does the fire magic turn into a separate ability? Is it impossible for her to grasp the fire magic since her soul is tied to [earth] instead of [fire)?

I think you can easily have more than one rune and that depending on what your character is aiming for in life, it might be necessary. The downside is that you have to spend your hero points on another thing.

As for why you might want to have another rune, well the infinity rune is a good example. If you are wanting to be a mover and shaker in the Hero Wars I'd try for this one. As the Sartar book says "The Infinity Rune is the mark of the gods, and he who possesses it is almost a god himself. This is not used lightly, as it implies total control of the power flow around the user, making him or her invulnerable to almost all magic, among other abilities. It is characteristic of gods, heroes, and dragons only."

As to how you would do this in a game, well it would be a pretty big adventure and the rune would not be gained easily. I'd have some prerequisites as well, like it probably replaces your mastery rune and you'd need big help from your followers and community.

In the old Dragon Pass game, Jar-eel, Harrek and Androgeus have it, so think big.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433