Re: A Gloranthan RP Overview

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_OBCpp6tu9QfbjwYGMAwDEG_A_hspnne10r7lokGK_wPj4-Aju6Al56aDwaLYBV4_f7G>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 19:39:24 -0400

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Zachary Kline <zkline_at_TPVmt85URDubWg7t2EYSq2f5pQ25ccJhWnix_HknEe59L_LUrpiDevAJc7KEc986ZVEgwq42yKp5a-M.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Hi All,
> With all the recent RQ/HQ discussion going on here, I was wondering if I might ask for a brief overview of where things stand? I gather that the "Second Age" referred to is what the Orlanthi would call the Storm Age?

The three "Ages" of the last 1600 years (following the Dawn) are different from the Ages of Myth, such as the Storm Age.

The First Age is that of the Dawn, where people picked themselves up from the wreckage following the Darkness. It was ended by the great war against Gbaji - the Deceiver.

The Second Age was the Imperial Age, dominated by the Middle Sea Empire (Godlearners) and the Empire of Wyrms Friends. It also ended in a series of great disasters that were even worse than the Gbaji War.

The Third Age is the period after the fall of the Imperial Age, and includes the founding of the Lunar Empire and the Kingdom of Sartar. Prophesy suggests that it will end in the War of Heroes, which will be the worst catastrophe yet.

> Similarly, I gather RQ players prefer to play in the Second Age whereas HQ players prefer the Third?

It is more a matter of licensing. Mongoose Publishing (RuneQuest) licensed the rights to publish books about the Second Age and Moon Design (HeroQuest) acquired the rights to the Third Age. All versions of RuneQuest prior to Mongoose's were also set in the Third Age.

Have fun discovering Glorantha!

-Kevin McD