Re: A Gloranthan RP Overview

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_JJ5ro61-YjxLgcBy4QLf42FdgVffPqwmNfJQxLvUdxUMFIXG7mImNxN7596-Xf>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 16:40:25 -0700

The first, second and third ages are historical periods which always culminate with disaster. The Storm Age is a mythical period in the pre-dawn time.

The first age is about the rising of man from the ashes, the creation of nations and a war of "light vs dark". As with all historical ages pinning an exact end is dicey, but basically the age ends when Arkat and Gbaji finally meet in war and one is defeated while the other is diminished.

The second age is about fallen nations bringing themselves back from the brink and eventually joining into two great empires. The forces of the God Learners and the EWF rarely fight directly in open war. Instead the age ends as the endless grasping for magical power by each of these factions turns the universe against them. The rivalry between the empires (with the Orlanthi mostly stuck between them) is the setting of the Mongoose RuneQuest game.

After the physical and magical destruction of the empires, the third age starts. As it approaches its end individuals of great power will come into direct conflict. This is the age of Heroes and that's how the Third Age will end. This is the setting of the original Runequest and Heroquest.

--Todd