Re: Historical Map of Genertela, Part II: 250 ST.

From: David Cake <dave_at_DmqWz-maL_VvZXA2ZRWMKpTXqECMfeVHuIYGconIQGzJFwH9ivBPFWQW-tK_Xi1ER69wV-O>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 16:27:18 +0800

At 7:07 AM +0000 3/6/11, Jeff wrote:
> > What is that line joining Dorastor with the settlements in Ralios?
>
>An attempt to make it clear that those settlements are actually tied
>to Dorastor. I will likely mark it differently on the final map.

        Cool.

> > The rise of Dara Happa is of course very obvious. Interested
>> that the Blue Moon trolls don't seem to have had their territory
>> reduced at all, though - I would have expected them to have at least
>> been dislodged from around the Thunder Delta.
>
>Not yet they haven't been.

        I'm just surprised because the relatively unchanged borders implies that the fighting between the Dara Happans wasn't more or less instant.

At 7:07 AM +0000 3/6/11, Jeff wrote:
> > The loss of the Tallgreen so completely and so quickly is
>> enormous. This must have been an incredible tragedy for the Aldryami,
>> suggests there was more to this story.
>
>There was. But it is largely unknown to humans, trolls, and just
>about everyone else.

        My understanding was that that area was more or less taiga forest, even in the Third Age - much like Siberia or much of Northern Canada. Would it be reasonable to presume that it is still forested at least somewhat, even if it is not dense Aldryami forest any more? Perhaps closed canopy forest of the Tallgreen giving way to sparse taiga?

        I've been quite interested in that Northeast part of Genertela. I know this map
http://www.glorantha.com/new/fan/FarNorth.JPG is a fan map, but I was fascinated by its presentation of a huge area of land North of Kahars Sea of Fog, and that it was possible to get there by land if you were prepared to travel across a huge expanse of frozen and (as far as we know) mostly uninhabited wilderness. Vast tracts of almost unknown Glorantha do discover!

> > Also interesting that the horse nomads of Pent seem to be
>> settled in quite long term stable clusters, even though they are
>> nomadic (obviously) and these clusters don't correspond to any known
>> landmarks. That probably says more about the abysmal level of
>> knowledge in published sources about Pentan geography, though - is
>> there a map anywhere with more than the very sparse G:CotHW one?
>
>There are better maps but not in print. These clusters are around
>the best pasture lands known at that time. My alternative was to
>paint all of Pent yellow - which would give an impression that there
>were more nomads than there actually were (that being said, there is
>one map that ALL of Pent is yellow).

        Another reason to look forward to the book then - better maps of Pent, among other so far poorly documented areas.

> > There is no clustering around, for example, the Hellcrack or Orathorn*
>
>Hellcrack is not a settlement but a deep crevice. A very very deep
>crevice. Think like the Grand Canyon but even deeper. And I suspect
>the pasturage is very bad near the Hellcrack.

        Some of what has been written about Pent suggests there are some people living there, but likely more more tiny clusters of shamans and sacred warriors and other weird types, rather than actual population centres. Glorantha: Second Age has a tribe who are 'the guardians of the Hellcrack', but not sure how many of them would actually live nearby etc.

        And yes, I suspect the pasture isn't good there.

> > * not that I have any good idea how old Orathorn is, it may not even
>> exist in the first age - G:CotHW says 'ancient', Glorantha:The Second
>> Age implies but doesn't state late Second Age, I tend to think older
>> than second age
>
>Orathorn is very ancient, but the relatively large population
>settled around the castle of immortal sorcerers is fairly new and
>comes from a pact between the sorcerers and some guy who ruled Pent.

	Cool.
	Love to know more about the Orathorn sorcerers. Very little
in published work AFAIK. I know Peter once described them as not so much necromancers, but manipulators of the magical energies of the underworld itself so that mere necromancy was almost a side effect - and that was a pretty nice idea.
	Cheers
		David