Re: Orathorn

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_JTHE31c3kZr9BpvzQJwfl4qMN6yJWIgQLUyfpOwfSaGkWE8b9hMFG8zgN0AJ0GsLVG8>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 19:55:24 +1200

On 6/3/2011 7:37 PM, hcarteau_at_daHtupmb8ULna_JnB21e2lsgyCkjc-NJmgzfbv6EO2i2dc9HTEs4mb6ZvFQBPIxULUqYP6z5AFs.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> /// I'd like to know about the origin of Orathorn. It's not pentan, it
> can't be praxian, etc. etc. Where the hell did the "immortal
> sorcerers" come from ? Could they be (gasp) exiled brithini ? or
> vadeli ? Or are they total non-malkioni ?

Given their location, I've though it unlikely that they were Malkioni. Instead I interpret Orathorn as being similar to the Hellcrack in that it was a large cavernous land of the dead that rose near the surface during the Gods War. The way to Orathorn is through a simple tunnel which is guarded by a magical tower. The sorcerors are necromancers that deal with the dead of Orathorn (who are quite happy to work with them with the knowledge they can be sent to much worse places than where they currently are).

Many Pentans, in particular Bad Ones, send many treasures to Orathorn to purchase a comfortable afterlife rather than one which they deserve. Other Pentans, particularly many of Seleris's henchmen, simply have carved out vast pleasure-domes where they still reside waiting for their master's return. The sorcerors are too intimidated by their power to punish the Selerans but they will permit adventurers to sneak into the Seleran tombs and steal what they can provided they receive a fair share.

--Peter Metcalfe