Re: Scripts + Examples

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ciQKyTLTmCEz-HWeQZhSzSf9imKpfAAXaFnvIERfz9E4JM6FkmHHHaPqZs1wFycAQ4V>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:09:39 +1200

On 6/19/2011 1:35 AM, giannieanna wrote:
> What about the other Gloranthan scripts? Are they explained in any of the Gloranthan books (ie, name of the script, languages that use it, is it an alphabet, an abugida, an abjad, syllabary, logographs...); are any of them depicted?
There are four scripts for Vithela

The Yederjalif - the sacred runes of Vithela. Too difficult for mortals to learn.
The Kadijalif - analogous to egyptian hieroglyphs The Fenvalic - analogous to egyptian hieratic. The Parlothadi - from the description, it seems to be analogous on the Korean Hangul.

The Kralori script is based on the markings on a dragon's scale. If they have a common script, it would be either the Fanvalic or the Parlothadi.

The Malkioni are said to have a uniform script that everybody can use even if they don't speak the same language (comparisons with Latin or Arabic have been made). I think now that the God Learners used the Abiding Script which is different from the Brithini script that Zzabur wrote in (a good parallel would be between the Roman and the Greek Alphabets). The Loskalmi and the Safelstrans are caught between the middle (ie they hate them both equally) and use scripts from other sources (Safelstrans would use Orlanthi scripts while the Loskalmi would use Altinae script which I thinking is Quenya looking).

In places controlled by the God Learner Empire, the non-Malkioni would be familiar with Tradetalk written in the Abiding Script.

The Carmanians, Dara Happans and Lunars all use a mixture of Pelandan Ideograms and Dara Happan alphabets to varying degrees.

An Auld Wyrmish script was invented by the EWF and I think it was based on Theyalan Runes. An example of it is given in King of Sartar.

For Pamaltela, there are two possible scripts sources - the Fonritans and the Artmali Empire. A script type that hasn't been used yet is Cuniform and I'll probably place that in Bandaku/ancient Fonrit. The Artmali probably used something akin to Mayan and you'll find traces of that all over Pamaltela and Teshnos too.

All IMO.

--Peter Metcalfe