Re: Scripts + Examples

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_q1ez-0gWl8CjZz22E5EFzunowO8pzbc9GS9V96Fcg4AVsMCoixAbL2Ggh11NA22ZBe6>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:01:17 +0100

giannieanna wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I know the Dara Happan alphabet (along with some sample deities'
> names) is presented in one of the Stafford library books.
>
> What about the other Gloranthan scripts? Are they explained in any of
> the Gloranthan books (ie, name of the script, languages that use it,
> is it an alphabet, an abugida, an abjad, syllabary, logographs...);
> are any of them depicted?

There are non-canonical explanations and depictions of the Abiding Script in the Book of Glorious Joy, due for release soon. Obviously, I discussed the matter with Greg when writing this section, although the discussion was never concluded (I seem to recall this was when Greg went off to Mexico for a while), so its important to bear in mind that things like the physical description and illustrations of the script do not necessarily reflect Greg's views, and may change in later publications. However, one thing that did come out of the discussion is that there are at least two different scripts in use in the West:

The Abiding Script is by far and away the dominant one, being used through most of the West. This is the one illustrated in BoGJ.

The Real Script is a much older script, originating in Danmalastan. It is mentioned in BoGJ, but not discussed, as hardly anyone uses it any more, apart from the Brithini. I envisage it as looking much more runic than the Abiding Script (although this is IMO only), being related to purely logical concepts and not much use for describing anything that didn't exist during the Storm Age/Fourth Action at the latest.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/