Re: Scripts + Examples

From: Jeff <richaje_at_bcSzTb_-eGFQFLe4pWtLZU12jV8FZvYYSAagOeNZeA7UKMUVMAjlKtaLZ735qNdnm_4g>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:00:59 -0000

> Aren't the Lhankor Mhy scripts were cult secrets that were jealously
> guarded? I seem to remember that most Dragon Pass Orlanthi (at least) were
> illiterate, as much from religious prohibition as lack of time and/or need.

There is no religious prohibition on learning the two basic Lhankor Mhy scripts - as long as the teacher is a LM cultist. The LM cult exercises a monopoly on the teaching of reading and writing (and over what are the texts used for pedagogical purposes). So for example, several prominent Orlanthi give grand donations to the Temple of Knowledge in Jonstown, Boldhome, or New Pavis, and have their children taught by the sages. The Dynasty of Sartar was famously literate (and famously beloved by the LM cult in Sartar and beyond).

However, if you are not a LM cultists and you try to teach someone else writing, expect serious consequences from the LM temple!

Jeff