Re: Historical Map of Genertela, Part III:1250 ST.

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_9EPMjDW4-t8qellYSNETwY22UHInK4oEIwkajynaYihGMOM8elesnWu37ou3sk5t>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

Peter asks of Jeff:

> > I'm skipping way ahead in the Historical Maps of Genertela series to show the
>rise of the Lunar Empire circa 1250 ST. Check it out:
>> http://jeff.moondesignpublications.com/2011/06/25/historical-atlas-of-glorantha-part-iii-the-rise-of-the-lunar-empire-1220-st/
>/

> Teshnos settled the mouth of the river of cradles?  Seriously??

Presumably, the Teshnan settlement was temporary (at least when thinking in historic scales). By then, Pavis was closed, so the only trading to the north would have been with Sun County, which the nomads rules for much of this time. There is no trade across the ocean due to the closing. Ships could have continued along the coast to Heortland, which would probably have been the point of any port around Corflu. The Teshnanas could also have re-settled Sog's Ruins. The swamps are no good for any kind of farming; the decent land between Defenders' Shore and the Eiritha Hills is wide open to nomads, so impossible to settle. So, I'd assume that the Teshnan settlement was a waypoint more than anything else.

Without further coastal trade, I have a hard time seeing how a Teshnan settlement would have survived for even 50 years. Theortetically, one could conduct across-land trade to the Paps, then through Caravan Alley to the either what is now Barbarian Town or Knight Fort. But the Praxians are hostile to Outlanders -- probably even more so in 1250 than now. And, even worse for Outlanders, by 1250, the Praxians are reaching a temporary zenith. They have sacked Pavis four times and had 130 years to recover from the Dragon Kill. They have just, finally chased the horse people out of Prax. So, I only see it the Teshnan settlement as fragile, being strictly for coastal trade in the face of hostile natives. I'm thinking this is why there's virtually no trace of them as Teshnans by the 1600's. I'm sure they made good slaves.

Chris