Re: Troll Pedantry

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_EVe2F3iWm5ue9hqL66t8m1j7lfUYNyXF9GmVYj80wQJ4k3moIJYEnJNnpVhngMCa>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:03:02 -0700 (PDT)

I also meant to add something about ancestor worshippers. I don't think they generally use medicine bundles.

First, the most natural body for an ancestor in the mundane world is yours. I think ancestor worshippers use a lot of friendly possession. That's not the only way of using an ancestor spirit, but it is a greater tendency among ancestor worshippers.

Second, ancestor worshippers generally don't worship huge spirits. They contact dead uncle Joe, because he really knew how to talk at the clan meeting. Or whatever.

Third, the oldest, biggest ancestors are ones who are shrouded in the mysteries of the Green Age. Going and finding them is incredibly risky.

Fourth, the great spirit of ancestor worship is often someone like Daka Fal, who is the judge of the dead. He doesn't come when you call him; he won't occupy a medicine bundle. His place is strictly in the spirit world. I imagine that other judges of the dead might be the same.

Something notable about these observations is that the last three (at least) don't really apply to Kyger Litor. All trolls worship her and she's huge. She's not shrouded in the Green Age; she's in the darkness, where trolls are safest. And she's not the judge of the dead; she's your greatest mother.

I don't know where that makes me come out on Kyger Litor. She could have a medicine bundle as an object. Or it could be that the bodies of the Uzuz are essentially her medicine bundles. If I was the GM, it would be an MGF decision for me. I'd probably have the Mother tell the party to go off and find the stuff and knowldge, then bring it back. Then I'd spring it on them that Kyger Litor's home in the world is the Mother's own body, so exactly what are you doing with the adamantine claws?

Chris Lemens