Troll Pedantry

From: boztakang <danielmc_at_1TWthS-45t0F-WhYySXup-6whN0Fx-BZdgjmqH3pPGNBcX5V08PV8pd05RhpECcUhXt>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 00:17:32 -0000

> that these are (at least some of) the ingredients for a new medicine bundle of
> Korasting.

I entirely agree with Jeff, that the concept of "Medicine Bundle" would not be particularly meaningful to most trolls. They are naturally much closer to the spirit world (at least the dark parts of it) than humans are, and I envision their modes of communicating with spirits to be much more diverse and tailored to the particular spirit.

Consequently, a troll shaman who specialized in dealing with praxian spirits would likely have a medicine bundle for that purpose - but it wouldn't be used for contacting his ancestors (that's what mom is for) or negotiating with Dehori - who he might contact through some other sort of fetish, special foods, a special song drum beat or any number of other methods, depending on what he knows of that particular spirit's preferences. He probably doesn't even NEED a medicine bundle to talk to praxian spirits... he just knows that they are more likely to respond positively if he uses one.

That said, The tools of D'Wargon are powerful indeed, and could have any number of uses for someone attempting to break the curse of kin... from simply studying them to look for ways to better defend against them, or perhaps to replace the "real" Gbaji with a weaker version who would do less harm, or any number of other schemes. Lots and Lots of things have been tried, and all of them have failed.

With luck, your PC will be the one to finally puzzle out how to break the curse once and for all!

> I am thinking that they go to the trolls to find a
> mother race troll who has researched into the trollkin curse

While i heartily encourage you to let your players BELIEVE they are dealing with an uzuz, the few Mistress Race Uz still alive on (or near) the surface world are highly unlikely to have dealings of any sort with humans. Humans are dangerous and unpredictable, and those uzuz still alive havn't survived to this point by taking unnescessary chances.

Even a reasonably prestigious uzko mother in a small clan will have underlings to deal with things like dangerous outsiders, and would never risk her own life by meeting with strangers.

At best, human PCs might be able to treat with a low-ranking Argan Argar priest, or a particularly independant Xiola Umbar nurse, and even that may require successful bribes and negotiation with multiple layers of underling. Let each layer of trollish bureaucracy make its attempt to convince the PCs that they are really talking to the boss this time - only to be exposed later as some pathetic slave or flunky to someone just barely higher in the troll pecking order.

Even low-level trolls should be able to provide an interesting perspective on fertility and marriage ("Treat her like you would your own mother, and do whatever she asks of you - no matter how distasteful. If your perform your duties successfully, she will be happy with many daughters, and your burden will be lessened.")

Uzuz are scary scary monsters - each one a terrifying demigod of darkness in its own right. Not the sort of being to take time away from its plots of world domination or kingdom-shattering vengence to provide marriage counciling to random orlanthi adventurers ;-)

(unless, of course, it becomes critical to your particular story that they do so..)