Re: lefthandedness

From: donald_at_hyitSLVDIgiuG0_niXIZlF2BtBkOY4b8t5ux8MJibqmf9m_QgNToctpZfoSAL8BuoHPzP
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:06:44 +0100

> Childbirth has always been a dangerous business, so in a magical culture helpful birthing magics
> are going to be available (prayers, charms and spells). Anything "left-handed" is going to be
> detected by the experts at hand or even divined in advance so preparations could be made. I'm not
> talking about disabilities or birth defects here, but a disruption felt in magic of the world - the Wyter
> whispering into the ears of the women present or all of the milk in the clan going sour at once.
> Heroes being born will produce similar effects.

In which case, like everything magical in Glorantha, the experts get it wrong sometimes. Also, in my Glorantha at least, the availability of birthing magics doesn't mean they are used at every birth. Maybe the baby arrives unexpectedly without a midwife present, or a trained midwife isn't available and only a relative working from their recollection of other births.

As far as disruptions to the magic of the world go I think they happen all the time to a greater or lesser extent. Nor are they easy to relate to specific events and the priests argue at length over the interpretation.

--
Donald Oddy