Re: lefthandedness

From: jorganos <joe_at_obb1hxXpi2uh_8h1NV2Hu-gnIgAPjFATVJQUZGlfYvmA5LHmBlZJwPcIktzznPLnttZ9Tcyk>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:42:01 -0000

Donald Oddy
> Also, in my Glorantha at least, the availability of birthing magics doesn't mean they are used at every birth. Maybe the baby arrives unexpectedly without a midwife present, or a trained midwife isn't available and only a relative working from their recollection of other births.

Given the number of Ernalda holy days which demand participation and ritual preparation, it would be quite a feat to avoid a midwife's attention for the entire pregnancy, but I don't think that they can perform accurate prenatal diagnostics other than whether the child shows all signs of being healthy.

The best moment to look into the future of a child would of course be the moment of birth (and possibly that of conception, which would stretch the concept of "moment" a bit, one hopes).

> As far as disruptions to the magic of the world go I think they happen all the time to a greater or lesser extent. Nor are they easy to relate to specific events and the priests argue at length over the interpretation.

Heortlings being a quarrelsome lot, the first suspicion will be some outsider cursing this birth for any number of reasons.