Re: lefthandedness

From: donald_at_S_qrgcPnzlHEcPOoHavK4pOmNZKX7CvcxAQ-eJjJOpCxlSPkXenq-g3-ZACEJRpvjqHnu
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:49:23 +0100

Jorganos
> Donald Oddy
> > Also, in my Glorantha at least, the availability of birthing magics doesn't mean they are used
> > at every birth. Maybe the baby arrives unexpectedly without a midwife present, or a
> > trained midwife isn't available and only a relative working from their recollection of other
> > births.
>
> Given the number of Ernalda holy days which demand participation and ritual preparation, it
> would be quite a feat to avoid a midwife's attention for the entire pregnancy, but I don't think
> that they can perform accurate prenatal diagnostics other than whether the child shows all
> signs of being healthy.

Well most birthing magics will be related to the actual birth - that's the most dangerous bit. I'd agree prenatal diagnostics will be limited, not least by what the midwife has seen or heard about before. So a strange birth might be picked up in advance but details or what it means are unlikely.

> The best moment to look into the future of a child would of course be the moment of birth
> (and possibly that of conception, which would stretch the concept of "moment" a bit, one hopes).

That will depend on when Heortlings regard the child to have a separate existance. Birth seems most likely but conception, the first kick or when the baby's mind is contactable by magic are all possibilities. However midwives don't usually have the ability to foretell the future. There's less chance of a Kev visionary being involved in a typical birth than an Eninta midwife.

> > As far as disruptions to the magic of the world go I think they happen all the time to a
> > greater or lesser extent. Nor are they easy to relate to specific events and the priests

>> argue at length over the interpretation.

> Heortlings being a quarrelsome lot, the first suspicion will be some outsider cursing this birth for any number of reasons.

True, one argument will certainly be who to blame for it.

--
Donald Oddy