Re: Runes and their representation

From: Jeff <richaje_at_wb8e1smKiuaIQGylc1kg5CcLZW9bjucNQ051_x9lesuKdJbUXgjvdgBsnjpNaHkyPUY->
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 17:48:06 -0000

> Hi All,
> In my reading of Gloranthan material thus far, which has consisted mainly of the Hero Quest second edition rules and Sartar: Kingdom of Hero's, I've noticed a lot of runes showing up. These seem to be depicted by use of letters, and I was curious if this was because of the way the letters look visually? As a blind person, I find it a bit strange to see "w" and think "mastery rune", when I have no idea what a W actually looks like. I know its appearance in Braille, but that is of no relation whatsoever to its printed form. In all honesty it throws me off a bit.

I have wondered how Braille deals with unusual fonts, and now I know. OK, each one of the runes are "keyed" to a particular letter so I can put them in a document, but in truth they do not particularly look like those letters. For example, the Air Rune, which is typed with the letter "g" in my Runic font package, looks like a spiral. The Mastery Rune actually looks like a three-pronged crown. The Movement Rune, typed with the letter "s" is a three-legged triskelion. The Earth Rune, typed with the letter "d" is a square. And so forth.

If someone would like to describe the runes better, I'd appreciate that!

> THoughts? This is coming from the perspective of someone who has yet to play in any Gloranthan game, aside from King of Dragon Pass by proxy. I'd love to, though…

I know groups in Berlin, London, Berkeley, Biddulph, and Seattle...

Jeff