Re: Ducks o' Death or Ducks and the Death Rune

From: Stewart <stu_stansfield_at_EZ3y6j6-n4YcDdJAqVmOeKDl3JfEHp0q5abC8XvjmdgACdSRldJ3K4Z86BE9R>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:17:58 -0000

Richard:
> Is the Death rune part of the Duck creation myth in some way?

That rather depends upon what folks consider the duck creation myth(s) to be. The earliest examples were delightfully obscure, one-sentence/short-paragraph jobs. ("It is unknown whether they were originally human and became feathered and web-footed, or originally ducks cursed with flightlessness and intelligence.")

And while I think the creative exercise of debating this is great fun, attempts to fix it for posterity have proven anything but. Pick an idea you like and you scotch two other equally fun (sub judice) but contradictory ones; or, still worse, create some middle-of-the-road mélange in an attempt to satisfy various lobby groups and/or--worst of all--"be neither too serious nor too silly".

On which note...

> In terms of the wider Duck religion, how reliable is the MRQ book
> about Duck?

The basic mythology is largely drawn from Stephen Martin's article 'Duck Mythology & Notes', in RuneQuest Adventures #2 (Fall, 1993), pp. 21-26, with a few emendations and elaborations.

My favourite example of duck religion is that practised by Joseph Greenface - the oldest example of such in Gloranthan lore, which accompanies Greg's only duck 'hero' of note.

Joseph is a 'shaman of great powers' [animism] and a 'Priest of the River God' [theism]. And the magical watercourse that flows through the Durulz Valley, that he might be expected to worship/propitiate/squawk at loudly? The Stream [wizardry].

You can't top that! (And there's not a deathdrake or a heavy-handed Sky/Vrimak-based formulation in sight...)