Re: On the Nature of the Durulz

From: jorganos <joe_at_SsuJ99tTMfmqtDHz4eOoRW0maAUwAmAFgrZZ2RwhircWJpujaWbKo8-_QtkhVmE5J_bXBmyJ>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 06:33:17 -0000

Richard Hayes
>  On the other hand it makes quite a lot of sense for a shaman like Joseph to hold this seat. Though what kind of shaman is he-- a Kolating? He is also known to be a powerful priest of a river god, though personally I would see no conflict between these things (as a river god cult is more like a spirit cult than a full cult anyway).

> Presumably this is not the same Joseph Greenface who is referred to in MoLaD(?) as being the representative of Fire in an elemental secret society (or that MoLaD has been overtaken by events on this point, and maybe another duck would take the role).

> Or is Joseph all these things and either very versatile magically, or a bit of a charlatan?

I would bet it is one and the same Joseph. Putting a duck into a fire position sounds like a gourmet's idea...

Joseph is a shaman, and not necessarily a Kolating type - remember that Beast Valley has animistic worship of Arachne Solara. He may have access to a wider range of spirit helpers than any human tradition in that area.

The River God Joseph is a priest of is one of the three brethren who jumped out of the sky into the Middle World. Tanian was a god of a subset of the Lorion River, and Lorion is called Engizi by the local Orlanthi.

Whether this "priesthood" is a priesthood in ordinary terms or rather a hereditary compact with the river entity is not quite clear. In RQ2 being a shaman did not conflict with being a Rune Priest. In the absence of sorcerers, a Rune Lord/Priest and Shaman was the ultimate magician a munchkin could aspire to...