Re: "What ifs" for "This World" Heroquests

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_oxt8WuEgZH87HbHhYr15Kl_Qf-pqEIZoy57gUANnm33nZIL8v0cLZStCprT045F3>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:22:46 -0700 (PDT)

> Let's imagine that the PCs are very interested in finishing a feud between two Praxian clans and ask
> their NPC Issaries priest to launch an "Issaries the Conciliator" heroquest (the one in the videogame
> "King of Dragon Pass"). Obviously, the priest takes the role of Issaries.

That one will be pretty tough. They will have to overcome both (a) Praxians' disdain of and dislike for Outlander and (b) the possibility that some clever Praxian just hands him something that looks awfully like a hyena skin.

> What if the PCs acting as Storm Bull use magic not associated to Storm Bull, like Lodril's Firespear?
 Without some mechanism explaining it, the use of inappropriate magic can lead to an identity challenge. "You're not Storm Bull; you're Lodril." A good Lodrili's soul will immediately say, "Yes, I am!"

If you think you might be using this inappropriate magic in advance, there are ways around the problem. For example, whoever is playing Storm Bull could do a ritual arming, where he first goes to visit his firends and neighbors, and convinces them to gift him weapons (which, mythically, can be the same thing as coming along). So, "Storm Bull visitied his neighbor, shouting about chaos coming, and asking for help. Lodril gave him a burning spear to use. He called it the Burning Wind." Or Issaries can go out and trade for help. He'll give something up, but he'll get a caravan gaurd, and both sides wil be better off.

When talking about the quest afterwards, these different solutions will affect what people talk about. In the first example, the questers will remember and talk about how Storm Bull went to e neighbor, got a flaming spear, and used it. In the second example, the Lodrili will be one of many faceless caravan guardsd that fought off the enemies and proved Issaries' powers of forethought. The narrator may give out new abilities based on them (Burning Wind), or allow a discount on the use of hero points to raise thematically appropriate skills (Foresight +1).

Chris Lemens