Re: Heroquest vs. Runequest II

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_5FIgeyexfigRzaPDjFnbRfGKPRR26BUulTi8Ho5tXatZL5z9CskZvlgyHWz4znCZ>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:35:19 -0700 (PDT)

Michael:

> I've been looking at both and haven't decided on which to run.  A lot will depend on my players preferences.
> I like RQ II because its familar and easy to learn.  HQ looks very interesting but has a higher learning curve.
> Don't know if my players will like HQ with its emphasis on narration vs. RQ II's crunch.

We use an RQ variant in my regular gaming group. At conventions, I never play anything but HQ. For me, the difference is in what you spend your time doing. Playing RQ, our group tends to focus on combat, and a good fight might take an hour to resolve. When I've played HQ, a good fight took 5 minutes to resolve and what matters is the fight's impact on the characters and relationships in the story being told. As to which one is better, I think that you are right about it depending on player preference.
Chris