Re: Introducing Newbies to GLorantha

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_Ib8KWW4Ve3Blf2EzD_1uD6PYWtayA2O1vw7lOrhiAafIEt6pHtsfWC4y4IOspewyLP>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 21:27:57 -0000

I never said that those who want to crunch their numbers and optimize their warrior's balance of encumbrance versus armor for the average four round fight were wrong, or worse...just that they are apt to find HQ rather mushy unless they can change their mind set.

As to the broader topic of introducing people to Glorantha, what I've seen suggested, and worked really well with a campaign I'm running for my son* is start small, introducing very limited elements. I ran a toned down version of Chasing Kites from the HQ1 book, with him as a pre-initiate with just some common magic (and the swaggering bully from the Black Oak clan who tried to claim the kite is still his chief rival). Each session afterwards I'd introduce a little more of the mythology and background, to the point that when he recently got to witness Kallyr meeting with Harrek he was able to extrapolate that nothing good could come from this...

*started when he was 11, now he's 13, so not at an age where there is a natural interest in the fine details of myth, etc. But over time he was wanting to read parts of the source book, to better understand how awesome Orlanth is, etc.

Some people feel narrative games make all the characters feel a bit the same, and there is endless rounds of justifying the use of 'skills'.

There is always the problem of races and resource management in narrative games. And to many, the systems can feel arbitrary. I am not accusing HQ of these things but I do think it is less of a leap going from a similar style of game than it is jumping from SIM to NAR styles.