Re: Introducing Newbies to GLorantha

From: Brian <ninevehn_at_Z67t5bOkyhtfSpgTNfY9ZKzEBvJmDcmsGwQHjiqEaUkw-Gxj5dSoeR2LHOn-ntlIzQg>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 08:37:50 -0000

The classic stuff I meant are the Gloranthan Classics Volumes 1 and 4, Prax, the Big Rubble and the Borderlands and Beyond. It's how I got my start and is really good for introducing new groups to the world. We started when I was 18, running it like a dungeon crawl, with the GM (an old RQ hand) slowly introducing more and more myth and setting until we were performing Heroquests on the fly to rescue missing comrades from the Hero Plane and generally acting like Orlanthi barbarian heroes.

It's all Runequest 2, so not exactly compatible with the rules you have. I think, in general, it is pretty easy to adapt older stuff to HQ; just ignore the stats and use the HQ system to generate them. I'd start there, or in the really excellent Kingdom of Heroes for Heroquest (seriously, it's really awesome and it was our first successful Glorantha campaign with my current group).

If you are interested in Glorantha, my advice is to take it slow :) Genertala is friggin' huge, and it's just the northern continent, of which most of the printed material only covers a portion in great detail. A single nation is large enough to contain an entire campaign for years to come, though that shouldn't discourage you from learning as much as you want. I find myself haring off all the time.

On the other hand, you could hammer through the Voices of Glorantha, History of the Lunar Wanes and the Prosapaedia in one go.. that's what I did when I decided to get invested in the world! Warning, it may result in your brain feeling very, very full.

-Brian