Re: Introducing Newbies to GLorantha

From: David Dunham <david_at__qKmAzFdnZj3kIEdIETTK57Ir2s8cyNzoCm5PfznZMIkoJ1lfLNt6JjRcpG3v_rtECNIQw>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 13:40:48 -0700

On 9 Oct 2011, at 13:08, hcarteau_at_y5YPcZiNx3PWGzfkzbXT4csj7jn_n40qYu4NALgyNdBUCR-X9aj0thMvyP-aqeZzcwMceh314w.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> * I am personally not too fond of HQ2 "NPC have no stats because difficulty is set by the story" philosophy because as the GM I am the one leading the story ... without a meta rule interfering.
> /// Of course. It seems like many people do not use the pass/fail cycle and rising difficulties with number of games already played. I don't. I use the "standards" set in HQ 1 : a militiaman fights at 13, a professional soldier at 5M, a clan champion at 10M2 etc. Likewise, creatures have specific size ratings, as do fire intensities, heights etc. The world exists around the characters and some parts of it are simply unbeatable !

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HeroQuest-rules/ is a better forum for in-depth rules discussions, but the pass/fail cycle is merely a GM tool, which offers guidance on setting resistance that will result in fun stories. "Remember, the table is just a guideline, and the context of your story will always trump it." [p. 74] And p. 72 explicitly talks about the "some parts of it are simply unbeatable" part.

I do think that it's a good tool for GMs starting out.

David Dunham