Re: Alynxes in Umathela?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_OBTHumsir-WGJRBrugEBQyJIesggBDbHoRRTJX2e1AaQgIaJR8DIe-sJoEQeAvXFBcPT>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 05:46:16 -0000

> > Woodland grazing used to be surprisingly common. In coniferous forests (such as Enkloso) it can be done in a manner that is actually compatible with good forest management (even reduces the chance of fire). In decidious forests, it tends to be more destructive.
>
> Fire is not necessarily a bad thing to some elves. Some trees require fire or smoke to propagate... (And in fact, IMG those trees were found in Vralos.)

True enough. What woodland grazing does is get rid of some of the undergrowth in pine forests. From what I have read, it tends to be destructive in deciduous forests (like Vralos). So one group of elves likes it, and another dislikes it.

> > So my suspicion is that the Kormorkan tribe didn't raise cattle because they were forbidden to by the Vralos Forest Council back when they were under the Woodland Judgement. However, the coastal city folk likely do raise cattles. Further west, the Enkloso Woodland Council decreed how cattle are to be grazed in the pine forests.
> On the other hand, if cattle were imported, the aldryami probably don't like them, and would ban them. Glorantha still has other megafauna to propagate plants. (Think about what sort of animal was supposed to eat an avocado whole and poop out the pit somewhere else!)

Not sure the aldryami would ban everything imported (since the worst pest is humans), just the stuff they can't work into their forest ecology. They are forest managers, not environmental activists. :D

Jeff