Thinobutu

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_FRzjKqIENCdfIIVs48tshIjZbqgrEGvo00F3J_W2WSHKM9fnBpAq_9qQ5FphkinLarA>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:06:20 +1300

On 10/23/2011 1:18 PM, Keith wrote:

> I had assumed the settlement of Thinokosans was a Pre-Dawn thing, but I guess the Hasteners on the 3rd migration must be after the 2nd Migration that landed in Miirdek 100 years after Elamle (at the Dawn)
>
> It makes me think that rising sea levels around the Marthino sea were going on for enough time after the Dawn to also affect blues living on the coasts of Fonrit.

I am deeply dissatisfied by the whole confused chronology around the Elf Coasts.

In the early Artmali period (early Storm Age), there's Thinobutu Island which I interpret as Loral. The people of the Elf Coasts will probably say that it was not Loral but this hints to me at a mythical denial about being expelled from their paradise.

In the middle Artmali period, there's three settlements - Dakoputlo Elamle, Alarlarverir and a third in Ulrana. These are shown on as settlements on the northeastern coast in the Artmali Period/Storm Age map of Pamaltela. Dakoputlo Elamle is IMO in what is now the Edrenlin Isles, Alarlarverir is probably Kimos (although this contradicts the text), which leaves Ulrana for Laskal.

Sometime after this the Artmali (of Fonrit) fight the Elamle/Maslo folk for control of Laskal (RM p37). I assume all Thinobutan lands were conquered, not just Laskal. If the Artmali merely conquered Thinobutu, that might explain the migrations. But it's the Artmali period rather than the Demon Period that the myths assume and so the motivation for the migrations rings false.

Hence I assume that the Migrations happened before the war with the Artmali. The Flood (or the First Torrential War) is sufficient motivation for a lot of people to leave but subsequent disasters have caused them to embellish the reasons why they left.

The Artmali War, I see, as merely being one phase in Artmali contact with the Thinobutans. First came trade then a formal attempt at Empire and Tribute collection. This bankrupted the Artmali who were then embroiled in a war with Oabil. The next wave of conflict was demons from Vithela who blight Thinobutu and seize the people of Dakoputlo Elamle to be slaves in Fozeranto and this is the Great Darkness.

I don't consider the Gorgers of Kimos to be Adparans. If they were there in the Artmali period/Storm Age then they strike me as a native Pamaltelan species that has slowly become demonized under human pressure.

Ulrana probably suffered heavily under the depredations of Vovisibor but survived the Great Darkness because the people of Thinokos are descended from them.

The next bit of information that we have is the date of 478 ST in which Elamle/Maslo fight the Artmali again for control of Laskal. The The only impetus that I can see for this war is that people from Dawn Age Onlaks fled the Jungle that was devouring their homes. Rather than go to Elf-loving Elamle, they go to Ulrana in Laskal and begin a war with the Blues there. There's a comment in the footnote (on p41 of RM) to the effect that they allied with Garangordos against the Artmali of Fonrit. This is why I think Thinokos was settled latish although I should observe the source for the date is said to be "very misleading" and on early notes.

--Peter Metcalfe