Re: Playing Peloria the Board Game

From: Keith <keith.nellist_at_cxwAT9LL6WDyvN8sD1zyB290abjJ_h9IvaYmzw82NG7X2BR8z28b3MiFcgJ5B8>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:42:19 -0000

> Making a set was fairly easy. I was not keen on the idea of printing a big paper map.

I had fun creating the map too(maps, there were a few versions). The PDF is fairly easy to print off and make into a reasonable map, although I made the orginal on a painted board. I am impressed by the size of yours.

>we needed to try and stop the Theyalans just walking in to Dorastor.

There are a few things that may not be obvious to get a good score, or to prevent another player getting a good score. Somethings are supposed to be easy to achieve with a good reward (Theyalans to Dorastor) or be the only sensible option (Pelorians should run away from Warlords and never attack anyone - they are rubbish at fighting) I mention it in the stategy guide: "The main tactic of the Pelorians is to run away, strategically"

(oh and that Hirenmador (sp?) chariot lords should avoid fighting other warlords, it's simply not worth their time.)  The other big thing we grasped is that Pelorians die in droves if attacked, and don't stand an earthly if they attack cavalry, the -1 meaning they can't even hope to hurt defending cavalry in the first round of any battle.

That was the intent. Whether the rules achieved my intent is certainly debatable.

> The game so far is excellent fun, even if Tom has had no counters on the map for an entire turn since the Hyalorings were destroyed. The Aldryami show up this turn though!

Player 2 starts the game very weak. Hopefully Tom will get some measure of vengeance/game balance when the barbarians invade (24 units) then the YOUF (20 units)

> It has however led David and me to rethink what we "know" about >early Dara Happa, and mainly to wonder if the Antirius cult was >actually the main solar god of the Warlords (the cavalry units - >specifically the Hirenmador and Hyalorings)

It seemed clear to me that nomad ruled Peloria was a very different place. I'm not sure exactly who the nomads worshipped, but I think it would be a more varied mix, including deities such as Deshkorgos, Kargzant, minor spirits and daimons, all sorts. The 3 way split in the game is an artificial contruct representing all sorts of horse riding clans making alliances, conquering each other, feuding, etc.

I am so glad you had some fun with the game, and thanks for posting the results. The Hyalorings shall return! (Round 15 First Battle of Chaos)

Keith