Re: Peloria the Board Game Questions: Crimson Bat

From: Keith <keith.nellist_at_z5uTk2JZQhtgXkDfF21H1BtXk9feogvwwvB0dT5YBc9Y0_6-f4s-X7AavGQ6Qt>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 23:09:57 -0000

> 1. The Crimson Bat is very fragile and easily killed? As I understand it, it gets -1 to combat as a Pelorian unit.

It also acts as a Cavalry unit, so gets +2 because of that.

> In the first round of battle defending cavalry (as the easternmost >Carmanians are likely to be) need a 6 to kill. So in the first round >they can not be killed by the bat, despite its many dice, and one >hit back ( a 5 or 6 will suffice) kills the Bat? is this >intentional? Have I misunderstood the mechanics?

The +2 helps a little with that, giving the Bat a reasonable chance to kill 2 units. You may be right about how fragile the Bat is though.

The design problem I had here was that the players (theoretcially) know the Bat will appear so I did not want an impossible to kill monster, otherwise the Carmanians just try to avoid that, and strategy for turn 16 is based on the certain presence of an impossibletokill monster. Also, it is only present for 2 Turns (15 and 16) so it made game-sense for it to be worth attacking rather than just being impossible to kill behemoth.

> 2. The same applies to any Pelorian infantry foolhardy enough to attack cavalry in the plains!?? (for the first round of the combat).

This was my intent. The Pelorians are not really infantry, they are peasants. Not soldiers, just people. They are not designed for invading, but for being invaded. It is really a artifact of the game that the Bat ended up on the Pelorians team. The Pelorians represent the common man of Peloria, which the Lunar Empire gave the fairest go of all Pelorian empires. The player roles are biased to certain Empires. Player 1 with the Bat, chaotic Wolfmen, and Praxians on the Hungry Plateau is the Lunar Empire. Player2 the EWF, Player 3 the Carmanians and Player 4 the Dara Happans, but Empires are always bigger than just one single Nation.