Re: Cathora, Herd Mother

From: Keith <keith.nellist_at_vEVCyMBCvTyQLPV05fQ9Eb0KsEulmKtu-4QRqZS8SjZXHPWmbFrpEIrPDU69SQ>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 09:30:04 -0000

> The point with earth deities is that usually they are tied to a specific part of the earth. Moving them around tends to cause big magical trouble, so if you want to have Artmal having a dalliance with Eiritha, you'd best let it happen near the Paps.

I dont' see that as being necessary for Eiritha until she is hidden from Death by the Eiritha Hills.

> I don't really see the Lopers as a special case with regard to survival in Prax and the Wastes.

I see them like the Bolo Lizards, Ostriches and perhaps Zebra. The Zebra riders are the remnants of the Zebra Cavalry of Pavis. The Loper People are the remnants of the Indigo Cavalry.

> Unless the Lopers had herds manifesting a protectress, I wouldn't make them anything like the Praxians. Just riding a strange beast doesn't make you an animal nomad.

I am not suggesting that they are like those animal nomads that survive using the Way of Waha! There is a wide range of lifestyles among the nomads of Prax - Ostrich riders, Basmoli, Zebra Cavalry, Rhino Rhiders, Men and a Half, Morocanth.

> However, if you really insist, let's spin this tale:
>
> We know that Storm Bull led his sons down the Spike into Genert's Garden. We also know that another Storm Leader by the name of Desero led his sons down the Spike into Pamalt's Veldt.
>
> Somehow, Storm Bull had his herds along already during the descent, meaning that his sons (the Founders) already had mated with the Protectresses.

I'm not sure this is true. I thought Storm Bull and his sons came down from the Spike to the green and pleasant land of Prax and there met with Eiritha and her daughters (fathered by Good Shepherd, Ronance, Artmal, Tada?) and started a more Bullish mix.

 That would mean that at least the herd mother aspect of Eiritha might have been present upon the slopes of the Spike, and accompanied Storm Bull and his descendants. (The Land Goddess aspect of Eiritha was firmly tied to Tada...)

> Now, if Storm Bull could take Herd-Eiritha along, so could Desero. And thus we can have Eiritha meet the Artmali, see her children wither away, and be gifted a different kind of beast as a bridal gift.
>
> If you really insist, that is...

The Moon that Artmal is sat on isn't fixed in the sky above Pamaltela, so he could spot Eiritha from wherever. Plus, he went to her, won her, then broguth her back to the Moon where she missed her family, and eventually returned to earth.

"Artmal saw a beautiful woman on the earth", Eiritha.
"She was Cathora and Artmal went to the world to court her." he went, to Genert's Garden.
"His courtship was challenging and taught him much of the world."
"At last, however, Artmal met Cathora's fathers requirments and then hers too."