Re: Household of Death -children

From: jorganos <joe_at_9WgvnQOE0F6kPh3SU7m21_oQSzIpoXbo6Yubq4Y0SB2g9-2SWMhM_f1mUS6-N9EpWuS0B6YN>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:17:32 -0000

"varma_many_truths" <ahitaylor_at_...> wrote:

> Looking for some more help for the sculpting of the kiddies. Was it just Salinargs kids, or were there others too. How old (tall) were the kids at the end. And any other info you have would be much appreciated.

There aren't many hard facts. The term "household" implies that there were people involved who were not part of the core family.

Personally, I have the impression that the Sartar dynasty made a point of raising their children from side lines together with their heirs. At least for residents of Boldhome.

So, in order to produce a miniatures set of the Household, I would include a number of kids and half-grown youths. These should probably be grouped into Champions with their "Four Winds" or similar formations, with kids taking up some of the exponated positions.

A few thoughts on the children of the Sartar dynasty:

It appears that fosterage took place at a certain age, although we only know this for certain with Salinarg (whose mother would have nothing to do with him after having lost the contest for the rule over Dragon Pass, and who was given to the Maranaba Earth priestesses to raise).

When of weapon-bearing age, the heirs of the Princes participated in the muster. It appears that they were assigned bodyguards from the Telmori (and presumably as well from the household Humakti who made up the other half of the bodyguard).

This bodyguard appears to have been different from the boon companions of the Prince in their role purely as a fighting force. At least, apart from Kostajor Wolf Champion and Ostling Four-Wolf we know of no Telmori in a position to advise a Prince.

The best known case of grouping minor line children (or acknowledged children outside of regular wedlock) with those of the heir are of course Dorasar and Sarotar. Young Tarkalor appears to have been able to draw upon the dynasty's resources for his adventures, although I don't think that he was accompanied by a Telmori bodyguard.

Members of the dynasty who valued their independence lived away from Boldhome and the palace. Eonistaran set up business in Jonstown, Jotisan of Karse even left the Principality, Onelisin lived near the wilderness, Kallyr's mother was active in the Kheldon tribe (although Killard Vale is reasonably near Boldhome).

Since childcare is a matter of the clan in Heortling society, it would be quite natural for members of the clan (in this case the dynasty) busy elsewhere to have their children raised where the head of the clan resides - i.e. in the palace. Since that place would have the best tutors and the best security, I can see a bunch of cousins accompanying the children of the ruling prince (or in case of young princes inheriting, his younger siblings) at any time.