Re: What's the Otherside like?

From: Stephen Tempest <glorantha_at_A9RuXxU-honhvkrQi1q44sBHsWyPcHtwzwhLpllhO7Svkk8Y7fNIKOjHPj8fMqUh3t>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 21:07:31 +0000

"michaelL" <michaelalewis25_at_pwerl3aqc5_xfP6YPtKybNp0XojqrQ0cl8S4gP35mJBqFZ5HlzhupBeW-crWzAYZeMy4-r3rXV4syIO0HVpjig.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>I'm reading Sartar Kingdom of Heroes and it states that becoming an adult involves traveling to the Otherside to "find oneself".
>
>What does this God World look like? I have no idea on how to describe this to my players. I've never even reached 20th level or the Immortal box set from TSR.

Generally, like a much more intense, vivid and alive version of the real world. The colours are brighter, the tastes stronger, the smells smellier. If you visit the home of the Storm Gods, the winds are stronger and have a fresh, crisp edge to them. Orlanth's stead is much like the home of a powerful tribal king in Sartar, but much bigger and far more impressive and awe-inspiring.

The Other Side also tends to work more on dream-logic or fairytale logic than real-world physics. You might confront another version of yourself, or your fears might take physical form as a creature you have to fight. Most everything has symbolism or mythic associations attached to it.

The Other Side is also timeless: however often you go there, it's never exactly the same but never really any different. Mere mortals can't affect it on a large scale (or rather they sometimes can, but the effects on the entire world are generaly cataclysmic). People who visit there on their initiation quest are in one sense going "back in time" to the divine age before ordinary mortal history started.

Stephen