Re: What's the Otherside like?

From: Rob Thornton <oblate777_at_MFt9JpgnCnnYnoTp68HVxGP3lFCM0sJB3m-0XAO2X6IRH6FXGPt0b0-QGUn3pLQ7SK>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 14:15:37 -0500

Michael,

I am still trying to understand the Otherside myself (I believe that other names for it include the Godtime and the Hero Plane) so I will try to provide another perspective. I am a newbie myself in many ways so bear with me--others will have to correct me perhaps.

The Otherside is very much a place that is part dream and part myth. It is where the Gods and your ancestors reside. It is not the Spirit World (shamanistic cultures) and it is not the Essence Plane (sorcerers aka Malkioni). It is the source of magic for those who believe in Gods. However, the Otherplace is very tricky and very dangerous for most people. I think it is made of Godstuff--your dreams, your nightmares, your hopes, are reflected in its substance and not in ways that are evident to you.

Most of the time, your people can use ritual, belief, and the power inherent in certain place/times/things to minimize the dangers of the Godtime and maximize the benefits. This happens when your people re-enact myths to initiate youth, ensure fertility, protect against Chaos, and so on.

Sometimes, heroes find new ways and new powers in the Godtime by learning secrets about the Gods and their ways. They devise/"find" new rituals from those secrets and, as a result, discover new and useful powers inherent in them. This is what I call "heroquesting." (Comment: The idea of heroquesting sounds simple in practice but putting it into play can be difficult. Research and reading about myth will come in handy here).

However, some of the most powerful, knowledgable, and determined heroes can learn ways to connect rituals and knowledge from many different traditions and gods together, and they can manipulate the Godtime in ways that are unimaginable to most mortals. This is called "experimental heroquesting." Naturally, the rewards are unimaginable as well but the risks are beyond belief as well.

A people called the God Learners became masters of experimental heroquesting and did things to the Godtime that beggared belief. Until Glorantha herself rose up against them and annihilated the God Learners utterly. In the most recent Age of Glorantha (the Third), "God Learner" is a terrible epithet meant for those who would tamper with the Gods themselves.