Re: Sartar Cultural Keyword: Your Clan

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_bF4asyZnGznWkZaJo2_iaGMfK7vGuXCrYog60IWnvMWvJTr5L2VtvDNhaSZKir5y0gi>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 21:27:01 +0000

Simon Phipp wrote:

> > Yes, any character from the culture automatically gets all the
> > abilities from the cultural keyword. In HQ2 you usually don't
> > list them separately, unless your character is better than
> > average at one or more of them, in which case they become
> > breakout skills - you just have the keyword at 17.
>
> That's how I played it with HQ1 as well. It makes things so much
> easier and faster.

Aside from the obvious ones ("Speak Own Language", sort of thing) I never remembered what they were, so, for me, it made things slower and more frustrating. I appreciate that my experience is not universal!

> > Having said that, they aren't compulsory, and if a character
> > really wants not to have one of them, then they'd either list
> > that inability as a Flaw, or just make a note of it on the
> > character sheet. For example, if your character follows Chalana
> > Arroy, goddess of healing, then they won't have "Fight with Fists",
> > because they have "Pacifism" instead.
>
> Or, they could use the Fight With Fists in desperation or when really
> angry and then live with the guilt afterwards, in which case they
> could have both.

I view cultural keywords as something that (almost) everyone in the society does so frequently that they're all pretty reasonable at it. In the case of a CA, I'd rule that they just don't have that experience, so I wouldn't let them use the ability off the keyword. Sure, they can Fight with Fists and live with it afterwards if they want - but they'll have to do it at the default ability of 6 because they don't really know what they're doing.

At least, that's my way of looking at it.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/