Re: Sartar Cultural Keyword: Your Clan

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_QKpM8HaUOoyIIvlP6aT5Jxp3zbvotNkEDiymHpJlrRaRRHWE7Bd78NITUJoYPFPWpaM>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:58:31 -0000

Trotsky:
> michaelL wrote:
> >

> > Do you automatically get all the abilities described in the book? Such
> > as fighting with your fists and the fyrd. Make fire and shelter and
> > trap small game. Walk with snowshoes, and skate on ice.
> >
> Yes, any character from the culture automatically gets all the
> abilities from the cultural keyword. In HQ2 you usually don't
> list them separately, unless your character is better than
> average at one or more of them, in which case they become
> breakout skills - you just have the keyword at 17.

That's how I played it with HQ1 as well. It makes things so much easier and faster.

> Having said that, they aren't compulsory, and if a character
> really wants not to have one of them, then they'd either list
> that inability as a Flaw, or just make a note of it on the
> character sheet. For example, if your character follows Chalana
> Arroy, goddess of healing, then they won't have "Fight with Fists",
> because they have "Pacifism" instead.

Or, they could use the Fight With Fists in desperation or when really angry and then live with the guilt afterwards, in which case they could have both.

Michael - think of Keywords as a shorthand list of things that your character can do. In the modern world, if you are an accountant then you could have the Accountant Keyword, which would mean that you can do pretty much anything that an Accountant can do. But, you are really good at spreadsheets, so you have Spreadsheets as a breakout skill with a higher rating.

See Ya

Simon