Re: Clan generation questions

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_1fvWneAWTDfIU65wP2UEdWsaGgcajlFSKVwAwcslYdBlof83XocBNytGZOBf7guzTph>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:52:53 -0000

michaelL:

> Just finished the Clan generation from the Sartar book. I have
> plenty of questions.

> What is a wyter? The questionnaire says that the clan has
> magical abilities related to Questions 4,5,8,9,10,11,12,and 15.
> How does it Manifest? What are it's runes? Patron? Thunder
> Brothers? Heroquest Secret?

A Wyter is a clan guardian spirit, guardian being or local deity. It is unique to the clan and the clan draws on it for magical protection and magical abilities. It's runes and abilities can be chosen by the players if this is a newly generated clan. If it is an NPC clan then the narrator can decide its powers.

> The clan knows a specific myth about how it was almost exterminated by the Great Fire.
>
> What is that? Is this just fluff?

In HeroQuest, nothing is fluff.

Seriously.

Imagine a clan which has Know Green Dragon Fireball Myth which describes how the Green dragon came to their clan and almost destroyed it in a ball of fire, but how a young man from the clan blocked the fire with the Crystal Shield and saved enough of the people to start over again. Historical fluff? Sure. Now, imagine that your clan members are on a HeroQuest and there is a stage where they meet a dragon. Because it is your clan, the Green Dragon appears but, look, you have Know Green Dragon Fireball Myth and can use it to survive that station. Is it fluff now?

> It talks about clan secrets. Are they special abilities? I've
> seen this repeated in the literature before.

Anything can be given a rating and can be used as an Ability, that's the beauty of HeroQuest.

> Know ritual to peacefully interact with Praxians.
>
> What's a ritual? Is it like a spell?

Just another Ability, to my mind. Use it however you want.

> Magic is what's really confusing me, but I'll probably post that
> in another post.

To my mind, everything has a rating and can be used as an Ability. That's it. That makes HeroQuest such a simple game to play. Anything else is just overcomplicating things, in my opinion.

See Ya

Simon