Re: What's the Otherside like?

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_Dj-TWtU5_8xbnrRe43iOi37DRCM_ySoLi02hQIG_aP4iUXSW0vaSuua9XYjJCrTEgjQ>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:42:22 -0000

michaelL:

> This is a lot of information. I think I'll need some time to research
> more. For now, I think I will downplay Otherside travel until I know
> more.

The trick is to take things slow and easy.

Don't run an all-out world-changing HeroQuest on your first attempt.

Try with small Practice Run HeroQuests. Have an opposing clan do a HeroQuest against your clan. Have a well-known repeat-attacking chaos foe make several appearances and then do the Summons of Evil Quest against it. Build up to more and more elaborate Quests. Eventually, the players will fee happier with it and you will feel more comfortable with the idea. Then you can try more complex things such as myth-manipulation and experimental HeroQuesting.

> That's what I hate about Glorantha. Too much information, No
> clear place to start, too high of a learning curve.

I know people who have played in Glorantha for years who struggle with the idea of HeroQuesting.

Again, don't rush into everything at once. Introduce things slowly. A new culture here, a new race there, a new cult now and again. Bring things into play when you need to and not before. Eventually, you and the players will build up their knowledge of the setting and the game.

It's not just Glorantha. The same thing applies to games set in the Eternal Champion Multiverse, Lankhmar, Middle Earth, Alternate Earth of any large, detailed setting. It takes time to settle into the setting.

See Ya

Simon