Re: What's the Otherside like?

From: michaelL <michaelalewis25_at_v1w40B4VDy4-DdMvy04bvz7zd0xA6gRrdyn55XsAagsRPWxqcd_CVeOQ-FLR>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 20:26:27 -0000

> A couple of paragraphs back I mentioned the Great Compromise. In it,
all of the gods agreed to stay out of the mortal world and to affect it only through mortals. The gods still exist, but they are confined to the God World, bound to only repeat those things that they'd already done. Change was henceforth to be the realm of mortals, the immortals were timeless, and fundamentally limited. It was a huge sacrifice for them to make, but it was the only way to save the world. The runes still exist, associated mostly with new gods (the early, primal, gods generally did not survive all the changes). Not every culture agrees on which god owns/embodies which rune.

Ok, this makes sense.

> When Heortling go to the other side, they generally first go to the
God World through rituals of worship. There they experience the deeds of their gods as part of the identity-less multitudes. This is the world before it was destroyed and put back together, before it was limited by the Great Compromise. Everything is fresher, bigger, brighter. It is always fresh and new when you go there, because that is its nature. The best I can imagine it is to think back to the most vivid memories of childhood, those things that blew your little mind and filled you with wonder—the God World is always like that. Or another way to look at it, it is the totally kick-butt cinematic cut-scene in a video game—sharper, better produced, than anything else….and the same every time.

Nice description; thanks. I can relate to this.

> When people go on heroquests to gain powers for themselves or their
group, they do this mostly in the Hero Plane. This is where the various other worlds interact more. It is still a land of pure myth, outside of time, still brighter and bolder and scarier and so forth. But on the Hero Plane those conflicts between all of the various myths mean that you never really know how things will happen to you. You might think you know how the story goes, but you could end up in a different version of it and have different, possibly horrible, things happen to you. This is the video game world to some extent. Everything is cranked up to a higher level of intensity than in regular life, there are choices to be made, but the choices are somewhat limited, and trying to go too far off the path of the story is pretty much a sure way to die.

Got it.

This is a lot of information. I think I'll need some time to research more. For now, I think I will downplay Otherside travel until I know more. That's what I hate about Glorantha. Too much information, No clear place to start, too high of a learning curve.

Michael