Re: Clan generation questions

From: Charles <charles_at_cSsI4Ij2Nc0B3OvoFfUh3FI2U-JkHmHTafgZ60ANHGM7Av41zI4w0hxKvmZ-uPI708Is>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:57:36 -0000

Hi,

Answers on interpretation of the results are interwoven with your questions below.

To speed up the process of answering and processing this questionnaire, see http://jeff.moondesignpublications.com/2011/09/02/web-based-sartar-clan-generator/ :)

You keep the Element Rune with the largest number (choose which on a draw). Give your clan one further magical ability related to each further elemental rune (other than Air and Earth, the two default elemental runes for Sartarite clans). Your main elemental rune dominates the "personality" of the clan.

You keep the Power rune with the highest number (choose which on a draw). The main power rune of the clan influences the "personality" of the cklan.

> What do I do with these?

In the introduction to the runes, there is some discussion of the influences they have on personality and magic.

> What is a wyter?

A wyter is an esprit d'corps - as an actual magical being. Most communities in Glorantha have an equivalent being, that might be called a guardian or other cultural specific word. This being holds the magical abilities of the community and grants their use in line with the community's traditions, rules and/or desires of the leadership of the community.

> The questionnaire says that the clan has magical abilities related to Questions 4,5,8,9,10,11,12,and 15.

For each of these questions, choose a magical ability that seems to be related to the answer that you chose for the question and that you would like the clan to have.

> How does it Manifest?

What stories of magical beings and their manifestations do you like? Probably the wyter manifests something like that...

> What are it's runes?

The runes of the clan are the runes of the wyter and vice versa. The people that formed the clan performed a ritual to summon the wyter and create the community. As part of that ritual, they defined generally what they wanted. This attracted 1 or more candidate beings and they chose which one suited them best. Sometimes, they already had access to a magical being and they set up the community around that pre-existing magical relationship.

> Patron?

Usually Orlanth (Air clans) or Ernalda (Earth clans). Could be Elmal (Fire clans), Argan Argar (Darkness), Heler (Water). Certain clans have other patrons relating to their founding but these are highly unusual.

> Thunder Brothers?

> Heroquest Secret?

Secrets can be little stories that explain why the clan acts the way it does. If enemies learn the secrets, they may be able to work out a way to take advantage of a hidden weakness.

Secrets can also be heavyweight magical powers.

And secrets can be nonsense that have power because "everyone" believes they have power.

And secrets can be a mix of any of the above or any other interpretation of the word.

How you can use "secrets" in your stories?

> The clan knows a specific myth about how it was almost exterminated by the Great Fire.
>
> What is that? Is this just fluff?

This can be just fluff or can be a way for the players to indicate the kind of story that they would like the clan to star in.

> It talks about clan secrets. Are they special abilities? I've seen this repeated in the literature before.

See above.

> Know ritual to peacefully interact with Praxians.
>
> What's a ritual? Is it like a spell?

One example of a similar ritual is an Orlanthi greeting. This is a formalised way for Orlanthi strangers to introduce themselves to an Orlanthi community in a way that reduces the chance for random violence, gets the guest water and basic shelter or more, and gives the hosts the chance to display their generosity, pickup news and gossip, and much more. There is also some magic in this ritual that makes it more difficult to lie / easier to detect lies and creates a temporary oath of peace between the participants.