Re: Rune magic -- Disorder

From: boztakang <daniel.mccluskey_at_fd4N7AoDdLTbVHFHCSp2IjRNmgdZMRD_9kJrWnMKmz5HVj7vEEKjl0AYpCC>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:16:41 -0000

Certain trolls might tell you that Disorder is the pumping lifeblood of the world, which flows everywhere fighting malaise, and rushes to fill wounds inflicted from the outside. Order is the rigid skeleton, hard but brittle, and destined to remain long after all the delicious living bits have died and rotted away.

> As this rune is common to Lodril and Zorak Zoran (and Eurmal, since he found Death there?) can Disorder sometimes mean power over the Underworld too (or the ability to bring the Underworld to this world, which I guess is a major revolt against an important part of the cosmic order)

I think it is more that Disorder is close to Darkness, which is very much native to the underworld. To continue the analogy above, Death was the skin that protected the tender flesh of wonderhome from the harsh and unpleasant world outside. When Eurmal Broke that skin, it was only natural that deities of disorder were the first to arrive at the wound and exploit the secret of it's creation.

> On reflection I can see Disorder as being just right for Zorak Zoran -- it speaks eloquently for his hate-filled fury towards most things (including Chaos, Law, Light, Troll society as run by Kyger Litor, and the difference between the material world and the Underworld).

Interestingly, the trolls in my glorantha understand Zorak Zoran to have a "Rage" rune, instead of Disorder, which is held by Boztakang. A bit like how Urox has "Eternal Battle" intead of disorder proper when viewed from within orlanthi culture. Rage is represented as the disorder rune turned horizontal, with a dot in the middle (also representing ZZ's "third eye" mentioned in assorted myths and several memorable pieces of art)

In part, this allows the mothers to downplay the unpredictable side of Zorak Zoran, and focus attention on his more easily controlled and manipulated aspects, as opposed to the "naughty, unreliable, and wayward, but basically charming and good natured" disorder of Boztakang. Death Lords view it as a more specific representation of their god, and rarely notice or care about the mothers illusion of control, so long as they provide satisfying external targets to torture and destroy.

Humans, obviously, don't appreciate this distinction, and simply consider the "rage rune" to be nothing more than an oddly drawn disorder.